If you fund your own care you can select any independent care provider without informing social services but if eligible for financial support then your care needs must be assessed by the local authority who must offer a choice of independent or public sector care.  If you are not funding your own care then before you move into care you will need to have a financial assessment by your local authority who will look at your income and capital and decide how much you will pay towards care home fees.

Examples of income include:

Private and/or State Pension


Benefits like Pension Credit; Attendance Allowance; care element of the Disability Living Allowance

Your capital might include:

Savings, investments, any property you might own (e.g. home or holiday home)

Before your financial assessment, make sure you're getting all benefits you're entitled to. This is important because your contribution to care fees will be worked out as if you're receiving all relevant benefits. If you get the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance, you will keep getting it. 

If you live in England and have over £23,250 in capital you may be assessed as being able to meet the full cost of your care. 

Capital is counted as generating income according to the following table: 

Amount of capital you haveHow your capital is used to calculate your contribution to your care home fees
Over £23,250You will be assessed as being able to meet the full cost of your care
Between £14,250 and £23,250Capital between these amounts will be calculated as providing you with an income of £1 per week for every £250 of your savings
£14,250 or underYour capital will be ignored in calculating how much you have to contribute to the cost of your car

The choice of care provider is entirely yours even if you will be fully supported and funded by the Local Authority Social Services.

Your personal choice and preference is a very important part of this decision and the local authority must operate under a government choice directive.

The Social Services should never only offer you a place in a Local Authority owned care home, you are always fully entitled to choose a private care home and the funding support will be the same regardless of the care home being private or Local Authority owned.

Consider all of your options very carefully, a well established reputation for quality care is very important. 

Higher Bank has qualified Management on duty at all times 24/7.

Feel free to speak to us if you require further advice about who to speak to or how to go about the above on 01254 582554.

  Site Map